The site of the current Queen Victoria Public School was home to the East Ward School, as it was originally known. The first East Ward School was built around 1865. When the building became too crowded in the early 1890’s, plans were made to build a new school. In 1893, the local press reported, “The contract for the new four room school building in the east ward has been duly signed and the building is to be completed by the 1st of January 1894. This promises to be one of the most complete school buildings in the district.” The 1894 building still forms the central part of Queen Victoria Public School. Over the years, several additions have been made. These include the two room, two-storey east end addition in 1922 and a pair of two room, two-storey additions on the west side in 1950 and 1960. Portable classrooms have been used at various times since 1968 and the gymnasium was added in the 1980’s. The gymnasium, while originally owned by the Town of Lindsay, was turned over to the school in 2008. It is still used by a number of community groups outside of school hours.
The name Queen Victoria Public School was selected in the early 1900’s. Although the school was frequently called the Victoria School, the full name was restored by the board in the 1960’s.
The beautiful wood floors are still evident in the older parts of the school, as are the high ceilings and the detailed wood trim pieces around the doors and windows.
Today, Queen Victoria Public School has students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 6. Students go to Central Senior Public School for Grades 7 and 8 and then to I.E. Weldon Secondary School.
With information from the Q.V.P.S. Archives and Robinson, Ralph. Educating Victoria County: A Local History of Public Education. Lindsay, ON: Tri-M Publishing, 1987.
1912 photo of unknown origin found in Archives
1930’s photo donated by Martha Brooks Shaw
Front Row – Doreen Daynes, unknown, Hazel Timms, unknown, Josie Cotey, Muriel Barnsley, Francis Chambers, unknown, Alma Limpert, unknown, unknown, Olive Matson, Mary Cotey, Rita Baldwin (Mosley), Florence McEachren
Second Row – Norah Starr, Jean Elliott, Mildred Williams, unknown, Geraldine Barjarow, Edith Gosling, Bessie Stoate, Martha Brooks (Shaw), unknown, Elmer Barnsley, unknown, unknown, Leslie Eveniss, unknown, unknown, Lauren Starr, Ross Endicott
Third Row – Dan McEachren, Donald Lamb, Edith Seaton, Lottricia Peake, Edith Campbell, unknown, Amy Beadle, Miss Laidley (Teacher), Leona Pogue, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, Charlie Healey, Stewart Morrison, Bobby Stoate, unknown, Jack Lamb, unknown, unknown, Earl White
Fourth Row – unknown, Willie Limpert, Mansell Thomas, unknown, unknown, Frances Barjarow, unknown, Earl Archer